Sunday, August 24, 2014

Rain in Vain

The previous week was equal parts miserable and boring. As I was planning on traveling to Kathmandu at the end of the week for a weeklong Peace Corps training and to celebrate a friend’s birthday, however, there was a light at the end of the tunnel. It would just be further away than I anticipated.


My bad luck began Monday morning with my plan to go into the bazaar. I intended to set out early, but my host family persuaded me to wait for the bus. After breakfast, I walked out to the bus stop and the bus soon arrived—right on time but filled beyond capacity. Not a huge deal, I thought, other vehicles would come. But as time went on, I watched as packed vehicle after packed vehicle passed by, while the mass of people waiting for transportation grew and grew. After an hour, I gave in and decided to bike. The humid heat of midday had set in—not the best weather to ride in—but it was imperative I get to the bazaar to submit a draft of a grant application.

The ride was strenuous, but I made it in about an hour. I completed my urgent business and even got some shopping in. As I prepared to leave, however, storm clouds were gathering. I would have to race them home.

I lost the race. At first the rain fell lightly, almost apologetically, on my helmet. Before long, however, it picked up. The rain wouldn’t have been problematic, if not for the stream I knew I would have to ford to get home. After a big rain a few days previous, a jeep had capsized while attempting to cross that stream. That morning the water had reached my knees, and I didn’t want to take any chances. I feared the rain would soon make the stream impassable, leaving me stranded on the wrong side.

I decided I would attempt to bike while holding my umbrella, with one hand on the handlebars. But it turns out, despite all my cycling progress in the past six months, I had not graduated to one-handed riding on rural Nepali roads. I should also mention that my bike brakes hadn’t been working very well, and the slickness of the road was rendering them even less effective.

As I rolled down a mild hill, a school bus passed me. After gaining some distance, it pulled to a stop front of a house. I considered the gap between the left side of the bus and the roadside, deeming it passable for me. But I forgot to consider that in Nepal, the driver sits on the right, meaning that the door is on the left. I reached said door just as a young girl descended the steps and alighted on the ground. I slammed on the brakes and tried to swerve off the road, but too late. I rammed into her side and was flung to the ground (none of my stories seems complete without a fall). My umbrella as crushed against the side of the bus, tearing a series of holes in the fabric. I got up, embarrassingly asked if she was ok, and continued on my way.

Now the rain was falling heavily, but I was just a few minutes from the stream. Once again (because I’m obstinate) I hoisted the umbrella in one hand and the handlebars in the other and promptly fell while going through a puddle. A very muddy me resolved to walk the last few minutes to the stream, which was halfway up to my thigh by the time I crossed. Once safely on the other side, I found a tree, parked my bike (ok, I threw it on the ground in frustration), and clutched my backpack under my umbrella, waiting for a break in the storm.

But the rain was relentless, and soon it began to get dark. I (because I’m really obstinate) decided to resume the umbrella-bike balancing act. After another fifteen minutes (and no more falls!), the rain ceased. I folded up the umbrella and, instead of putting it in my backpacks’ side pocket, stupidly hung it from the handlebars to dry. I almost went over my handlebars when the thing got stuck in my spokes, but it just broke. Lucky, right? The rest of the journey went by fine, but I arrived home muddy and cold.


Wednesday morning was only partly cloudy, so I seized the opportunity to do some much-needed laundry in preparation for my trip to Kathmandu. Unfortunately, it began raining in the late afternoon, forcing me to move my clothes indoors.


On Thursday, I was scheduled to build a cookstove. After my morning meal, the rain seemed to be letting up, so I mounted my bike and set out for a nearby village. Five minutes from home, the sky opened up. To compound my misery, my bike’s chain kept falling off, as did the several iron rods for the stove that I’d fastened to the back of the bike. Halfway there, I declared the day lost, called to cancel, and headed home. I was soaked through when I arrived, stripping off my clothes and collapsing on the bed in defeat.

The rain continued throughout the day, fluctuating maddeningly between torrential downpour and light sprinkling. Would my clothes dry? Would the road be passable the next day? Only time would tell. Before I went to bed, I prayed for the rain to stop.


I awoke early Friday morning to the faint roar of rushing water. Rising to the window and peering through the day’s dim first light, I could make out the stream down the hill from my house. The water was moving rapidly, the highest I had ever seen it—a bad sign. And it was still raining. Hoping for the best, I packed my bags (with some of the clothes still damp), stuck a nail in my broken umbrella to hold it open, and informed my host family I would give it a shot.

Considering the inclement weather and early hour, the road was bustling with villagers walking to and from the stream. There were rumors that several homes had been flooded the previous night, and some said a few houses along the riverbank had even been washed away. Each person I passed wanted to know where I was headed with such a large bag. Upon hearing I hoped to get to get to Kathmandu, they all said, “The stream is too big! You can’t go anywhere!”  Nevertheless, I wanted to see for myself.

I arrived at the entrance of my village, the right side of which had been completely flooded. People were trying to save what they could, lugging jute sacks and soggy cardboard boxes filled with their possessions to neighbors’ homes across the street. The street was so flooded with water that it was difficult to tell where the road ended and the river began.





I continued toward the bridge that spans the river. When I reached it, my jaw dropped—it appeared that half of it had been swept away. Later, I would learn that the stream (now a turbulent brown river) had swelled so much that it had carved a new path through the road on our side of the bridge. There would be no leaving today.


I walked down to the stream with some friends to survey the damage. Several rice paddies had been destroyed by flooding (even rice can only tolerate so much water). We spotted a drowned water buffalo lying on its side among the shallows, and heard tell of two human bodies that had washed up farther downstream.

A drowned water buffalo the washed up near my house.

Reports continued to come in all day of people who had drowned, houses that had been swept away, possessions that had been destroyed by water. The roads leading out of my district were closed. At one point, a helicopter flew overhead, with a small band of children chasing after in its trail. Peace Corps instructed us to remain at our posts until the water subsided enough for travel.

I have to stop writing now because the sun just came out, and I’ve never been so happy to see it.


Friday night it only drizzled for a few hours, meaning it might be possible to cross the river. Cautiously but desperately hopeful, I set out at 7AM on Sunday. In the road, I met my counterpart Neb, who offered to walk with me to the river and help me cross. The water had receded considerably since the previous day and already people were fighting the current to get across. In front of us, two young men helped an older woman get across. We traversed the river without a problem, and, after climbing up the bridge, I continued on alone.

 Prior to the storm, this rock wall had been preventing the river from spreading to the road. It was swept aside and now lies perpendicular to where it should be. 




The view from the middle of the river




Further along the road, I met up with another volunteer. Eventually, we reached a second river, which was more a series of rivulets than a single stream. Although the strap on my flip-flops broke in the course of crossing, we made it safely to the far shore.

At 10AM, after three hours of walking, we finally arrived in the bazaar. From then on, the journey went smoothly and we made it to Kathmandu the following day.

Now, a few days removed from the flooding, I realize how selfish it was for me to be more upset by my travel delay than by the damage in my community. At times, I feel like I have become more egocentric and entitled more since entering the Peace Corps, rather than less so.

All in all, the heavy rains wrought havoc on roads, fields, and homes throughout much of Nepal. A village just downhill from one volunteer’s home was completely swept away. Another had to cross more than a dozen landslides, over the course of six hours, to reach his bazaar. A third volunteer, while on a bus, spotted another bus that had gone off the cliff just twenty minutes ahead of him. Shortly after, a landslide occurred just a few hundred yards behind his bus, completely blocking off the road.


Read more about the flooding in Nepal:



No comments:

Post a Comment