Sunday, August 10, 2014

Backwards Quotes from the Gaun

Having been here for eleven months, I have a good enough handle on the language to understand most day-to-day conversations and enough knowledge of the culture to appreciate day-to-day life. Still, I’ve found that people often do or say things that are not only surprising but actually fly in the face of common sense. Here are a few examples from just the past couple of weeks:

“The power’s on. Go watch TV.”
-My host mother to my nephew, while he was running around killing imaginary snakes in the front yard.
Because watching Hindi soaps is a way better activity for children than using their imagination, stretching their legs, and being outdoors.

“Show me. How does it look?”
A Nepali guy asking to see a picture of a breathtaking sunset I’d just taken on my phone, rather than just looking at the real thing in front of him.

“We should cover the pomegranates with plastic bags to prevent them from rotting”
-My host sister-in-law
But it turns out that covering the pomegranates with plastic bags, and therefore preventing any moisture from escaping even after it rained, didn’t prevent the pomegranates from rotting within a few days.

“The water is cleaner in America. That’s why the people there have white skin.”
-A woman in one of my community’s women’s groups.
Although people of lighter skin do tend to have cleaner water worldwide, I remain skeptical of the causality of this relationship.

“If I rub his rash, it’ll go away.”
-A mother in the same women’s group
Because just like getting the wine stain out of a carpet or massaging a knot out of someone’s shoulders, there’s no way rubbing a rash could make it worse.

“You should take some medicine to stop your diarrhea.”
-My host sister, every time I’m sick
Because I’d much rather stop the diarrhea and let whatever’s inside me grow and breed off of the food I’ve consumed.

My host sister smearing a tomato on her leg when I accidentally spilled hot tea on her. Because nothing makes a burn better like the acidity of tomato juice.

Most rural Nepali women smearing cow dung on their kitchen floors to clean them.

Because bovine feces actually have do have the capacity to disinfect, and not the opposite of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment