Monday, February 24, 2014

Who Am I?

Sometimes I do question the meaning of my existence, but this post is just about who I am in different spheres of my Nepali community.

I am
  • “Baabu” (baby) to my host mother
  • Bhai” (little brother) to my siblings and cousins, except for my younger sister, who calls me “American dhai
  • “Uncle” to my nephews (but “American uncle” to my youngest)
  • A houseguest who hangs around long enough to become one of the family
  • “Ramchandra” in my village
  • An incompetent American who can’t do simple things like wash clothes by hand
  • An skilled American who can perform complex tasks like operating a computer
  • “Ben” to those who ask my name and “Byen” to those who can’t pronounce it
  • Just another foreigner to strangers but an instant friend when they hear me speak Nepali
  • A perceived gateway to knowledge, wealth, and America
  • “Sir” to the school children
  • A magnet of youthful attention
  • A better learner than teacher
  • “Ben Bahadur” (Ben the brave) to my government counterpart
  • Dangali kaancho” (youngest of Dang) at the health center
  • A voice people listen to
  • “Bwags” with my fellow volunteers
  • “Ben-ji” (sir) to the Peace Corps staff
  • A generalist, pioneer, and guinea pig

No comments:

Post a Comment